Impaired driving is a serious offence that can have long-lasting consequences for those charged with it. A conviction can lead to significant penalties including fines, licence suspensions, and even jail time.
Immediate Steps to Take After Being Charged with Impaired Driving
While this situation can be stressful, it's essential to remain calm and respectful when dealing with law enforcement. Avoid arguing or making any aggressive gestures, as this could escalate the situation and potentially harm your case later on.
Adhere to the guidelines below to ensure you get the best possible outcome in your case.
Exercise Your Rights When Facing an Impaired Driving Charge
- Exercise your right to remain silent. You are not obligated to answer any questions or provide any information that could potentially incriminate you.
- Do not consent to a search without a warrant. Politely decline any requests for a search of your vehicle or personal belongings and state that you do not consent.
Gather Documentation to Support Your DUI Defence
- Document the details of the arrest. Include details such as the location, time, weather conditions, and any interactions with law enforcement. This information may be helpful in building your defence later on.
- Gather relevant information. Collect names and contact information of witnesses, personal dashcam footage if available, photographs or videos of the scene, and any other evidence that could potentially support your case.
Hire an Experienced DUI Lawyer
- Reach out to a knowledgeable DUI lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you involve a lawyer in your case, the better your chances of a favourable outcome.
- Inform your lawyer about any medical conditions or medications. Make sure to inform your defence attorney of any medical conditions or medications that could potentially impact the results of a breathalyser test or field sobriety test.
- Attend all court appearances and follow your lawyer's advice. Attend any scheduled court appearances and closely follow your attorney's guidance throughout the legal process.
The Importance of Hiring an Experienced DUI Lawyer
Hiring a skilled DUI lawyer for your impaired driving charge has the following benefits:
Expertise Handling Impaired Driving Charges
Comprehensive understanding of impaired driving laws and procedures: This knowledge enables them to identify any potential weaknesses in the prosecution's case and develop the most effective defence strategy for your situation.
Expertise in handling evidence: A seasoned DUI lawyer can identify procedural errors and will know how to challenge the admissibility of evidence.
Mitigating penalties and bad outcomes: Possible outcomes may include reduced fines, avoiding licence suspension, or even having charges dropped altogether. They will also advise you on steps to take such as attending alcohol education courses or seeking substance abuse treatment. These steps demonstrate your commitment to addressing the issue and positively impact your case.
An Experienced DUI Lawyer Handles The Stresses of the Legal System
Skilled negotiation: Exceptional negotiation skills are essential in securing favourable plea deals or reducing potential penalties.
Familiarity with local courts and legal professionals: This familiarity can be beneficial when navigating the legal process because they understand the preferences and expectations of those involved in your case.
Emotional support and guidance: In addition to providing legal expertise you’ll also receive support and guidance throughout the process.
By retaining the services of an experienced DUI lawyer like Nicholas Robinson, you are significantly increasing your chances of achieving a more favourable outcome.
How to Find the Right DUI Lawyer for Your Impaired Driving Charge
Finding the right DUI lawyer involves seeking referrals, conducting thorough research, and scheduling consultations with potential lawyers.
Find a DUI Lawyer By Seeking Referrals
Ask for recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues: If someone you know has had experience with a DUI lawyer, ask about their experiences and whether they would recommend the attorney.
Consult with other legal professionals: If you have worked with other attorneys for different matters, ask them for recommendations.
Contact local bar associations: Many bar associations offer referral services to help connect individuals with qualified attorneys in their area.
Find a DUI Lawyer By Conducting Online Research
- Start by searching for reputable DUI lawyers in your area: Use search engines, online directories, and professional association websites to find a list of DUI attorneys practising in your jurisdiction.
- Review their websites: Examine the lawyers' websites to get an idea of their experience, areas of expertise, and qualifications.
- Check online reviews and ratings: Yelp and Google Reviews can provide insight into the experiences of past clients and the attorneys' overall reputation.
- Verify their credentials and professional affiliations: Ensure the attorney is licensed to practise in your jurisdiction and has membership with the local bar association.
Tip: Choose a lawyer who emphasises clear communication, client education, and 24/7 availability for legal emergencies and consultations.
Prepare for Your First Consultation with a DUI Lawyer
Compile a list of potential attorneys: Based on your research and referrals, create a shortlist of DUI lawyers who seem well-suited to handle your case.
Schedule initial consultations: Many lawyers offer free initial consultations which provide an opportunity to discuss your case, ask questions, and evaluate whether the attorney is a good fit for your needs.
Prepare a list of questions to ask during the consultation: Some questions to consider include:
- How long have you been practising DUI defence?
- How many DUI cases have you handled?
- What is your success rate in getting charges reduced or dismissed?
- How familiar are you with the local courts, judges, and prosecutors?
- What is your fee structure and estimated cost for handling my case?
- Will you be personally handling my case or will it be assigned to another attorney in your firm?
Bring relevant documentation and information: Bring any documents related to your arrest, such as the police report, breathalyser results, and witness contact information.
Moving Forward with Your DUI Lawyer
Establish a strong working relationship with your chosen DUI lawyer by being proactive, staying informed, trusting their expertise, and following their advice.
Facing an Impaired Driving Charge? Hire Nicholas Robinson
Nicholas Robinson is a skilled DUI lawyer who is dedicated to client-centred representation and personalised legal solutions. Don't hesitate to call him at (306) 585-1777 for a free initial consultation to discuss your legal needs and concerns.
- Ignition Interlock Program: A Comprehensive Guide
- Drugged Driving vs Drunk Driving: Key Differences
- How to Challenge Impaired Driving Charges in Canada: Strategies for Building Your Defence
- Impaired Driving – Regina Criminal Lawyer Explains
- Criminal Lawyer Explains: What’s the difference between Vehicle Seizure and Vehicle Forfeiture?